5 THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT IVF
1. In-Vitro Fertilization is becoming even more popular today due to the rise of infertility rates among couples. This is due to the following factors: people getting married later and giving birth later; STD’s cause infertility; pollution; diet and lack of exercise; previous contraceptive use leads to sterility; sterility from previous abortion; falling sperm count in males (due to medicines, alcohol, lifestyle, stress).
2. Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART), of which IVF is under, is responsible for at least 246,000 babies. The success rate of IVF is exaggerated to get more clients/customers. Real success rate: 15% successful.
3. Ave. cost is $10,000-$25,0000 (P460,000-P1.1 M) Industry generates $2B/year. Expected to grow at 20%/yr.
4. For the birth of every IVF baby, 80% of fertilized embryonic human persons die.
5. The process involves:
· the collection of eggs (Woman given drugs to hyper-ovulate; drugs may cause increase in ovarian cancer.) and sperm (Masturbation is morally wrong; use of a donor sperm, not your husband, is also morally wrong.)
· placing eggs and sperm in a petri dish to create embryos (against unitive and procreative purpose of the conjugal act;
o Many embryos are created. Healthy ones are kept, defective ones are destroyed. (murder!)
o More than 400,000 frozen embryonic persons in facilities – a “hell on ice.” In thawing frozen embryonic persons, 50% of them will die.
· transfering embryos to a woman’s uterus
o 2-4 embryos implanted; 80% of those implanted will spontaneously abort, so many are lost for every child born.
o Multiple pregnancies (twins, triplets, etc.) endanger the mother’s health. Considered a high-risk pregnancy.
o If too many of the implanted embryos grow, excess ones are usually aborted (called pregnancy reduction) for the health of the mom and preference of the couple (How many babies do you want?)
· Birth – If IVF babies are born, they are…
o 2x more likely to have birth defects or a handicap
o 3x more likely to have a neurological defect (brain)
o 7x more likely to have a urological defect (urinary system)