5 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH BILL 96
1. Filing of previous bills:
(Source: Position Paper by Dionisio Garciano on HB’s 17 and 812, April 29, 2008)
· In the 15th Congress: HB 96 (RH Bill) was filed.
2. Who Wrote the Reproductive Health Bill? Not our lawmakers but an NGO called the Philippine Legislative Committee on Population and Development (PLCPD – Exec. Director San Pascual). PLCPD is a foundation that has its office right in Congress where it lobbies and acts on behalf of, and is heavily funded by foreign gov’ts to promote pop control programs. (Notice the generic UN language used.) Since 1998, it’s been introducing similar bills in both houses of Congress and through our legislative system, up to the local level. (Source: “Crucial Questions on the RH Bill” by Jose C. Sison, A Law Each Day Keeps Trouble Away, October 31, 2008).
3. Positive points of the bill: maternal health and child care.
4. Negative points of the bill:
5. The term reproductive health in UN language brings abortion with it. Why not mention it in this bill? Because Filipino Catholics are allergic to the term (See previous bills!), so for the bill to pass, removed this term. Still, the RH bill has population control and abortion written all over it!