Workshop: Theology of the Body and Catechetics
A Christo-centric – Trinitarian Symphony
- TOB is a symphony where various parts contribute to the whole
- There is a dramatic emphasis of the PIANO: Which is JPII Theological anthropology
- Dramatic presentation of the human person as a sacramental person in a sacramental world
Materialism: What is real is what is tangible to me: what I can see, experience or touch
— and we are trying to move them to a sacramental world view
TOB: Read this and you will come out with a sacramental world view!
The human person cannot find himself except through a sincere gift of self
TOB and Catechetics: The universal questions of human life
- What is my purpose?
- Who am I?
- Why was I created?
- What’s my final end?
Heart of Catechesis: we find a person: the Person of Jesus of Nazareth
- reference is Jesus
- Proclaim Jesus Christ
- ALSO, we lead people to the Father, through the power of HS: TRINITARIAN!
CCC 234: Christo-centric and Trinitarian
- This is good Catechesis!
- Even in TOB, it must be both
TOB divided in half:
- Words of Christ
- Before Original Sin
- After Original Sin
- Who we will be in Heaven
- The Sacrament of Marriage
- Sacrament of Marriage
- Humanae Vitae
Understand JP II and Catechetics: Jesus Christ is the center of the Universe and of history
Genesis 1: 27 – a big, packed suitcase. And TOB uses to unpack Geneses 1: 27. What does it mean that we are made in the image and likeness of a Trinitarian God?
How we understand God is how we understand ourselves. Because we know we are made in His image and likeness.
- We see God as a vending machine
- We put in prayers, and expect to get the answer to prayers
- If we don’t get it, then we walk away… mad
Trinity: Father pours Himself out as gift to Son. Son pours Himself out as gift to Father. Holy Spirit bursts forth as embodiment of total self-giving of Father and Son.
Hermeneutic of the gift: The concept of gift is the central reference point to understand reality
- Got is from GS 24 (Gaudium et Spes)
- Man cannot find himself except through a sincere gift of himself
Today we have the hermeneutic of power: Whoever has the power, wins. hermeneutic of choice. – “I” becomes the central point.
A sincere gift of self can only be done through the BODY!
TOB means: The body reveals God!
As Catechists: USE ALL YOUR SENSES! Get all SENSES involved! – engage the whole person
God gave us a body to reflect him!
- Just like how we see the reflection of mountains in a lake.
- Even if we do not see the mountains, we can see the mountains through their reflection
Love is a gift!
If God is love, God is a gift! A total gift!
When you look at your body in the mirror, you should see God as a gift!
- If you struggle with it, imagine what younger people see
- We should see God
- Get used to your body, it will be with you for all eternity: It will be raised and glorified
- It really matters what you do with your matter. Your body is a tabernacle, it is a reflection of God
Speak the word of God, in season and out of season
- Ashes must be buried. Cannot be scattered or displayed
- Treat the body with dignity even after death
- Cremation only if you do not doubt the reality of the body being raised
Parents are primary educators
- Understand the framework to be able to explain the questions of kids
- Abortion, Pornography, Masturbation, Making Out, etc : Reduces our bodies to OBJECTS